My dear friends,
Anyone can become angry – that is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way – is not easy, said Aristotle.
Anger is just one of several emotions, but rest of what has been stated is:
- Its channelization
- Its use as an instrument and a tool
- Converting it from weakness to strength
And that is all about Emotional Intelligence (EI) !
EI- A Precise term
Talked about loosely for decades under the names: Attitude, Mindset, Personality, Soft skills, Self-Motivation, Energy levels, Competence etc.; there is at last a precise term for these human talents i.e. EI
EI can buy what you cannot otherwise
- You can buy people’s time;
- You can buy their physical presence at a place;
- You can even buy a measured number of muscular motions per hour. But,
- You cannot buy their enthusiasm…
- You cannot buy their loyalty…
- You cannot buy the devotion of their hearts.
That is possible only through “EI”.
Rules for Work
The rules for work are changing:
- We are being judged not so much by our knowledge or skills,
- But, by how well we handle ourselves and each other
- This yardstick is increasingly being applied to decide:
“Who will be hired & Who will be fired”
EI for Star Performance
Emotional Competencies for Star Performance are initiative, achievement drive, adaptability, Influence, team leadership, political awareness, empathy, self-confidence and developing others.
Analysis of competence models of 181 positions drawn from 121 companies worldwide with their combined manpower numbering in millions -by Daniel Goleman, corroborated by Hay/McBer showed that 2 out of 3 abilities deemed essential for effective performance were emotional competencies which means they influence 66% of your professional success. On an average, 90% of success in leadership is attributable to EI.
Heart is in the Brain
- We have feelings about everything we do, think, imagine and remember.
- “Thought and feeling” are inextricably woven together.
- Brain does not merely work like a computer to be able to carry out a neat print of rational arguments for and against a decision in life;
- It does something more elegant. It weighs the emotional bottom line from those previous experiences and delivers an answer to us in a hunch, a gut feeling, common sense or sixth sense.
- The seat of intuitive knowledge sometimes referred to as the “heart” is found in the “Emotional Centre” of the brain.
Magic of Emotional Intelligence
President of a Company demands his Vice-President “I want you to cut everyone’s salary by 15% but make it look like a reward”. I need funds for mandated CSR activities.
She goes and announces like this:
“Ladies and Gentlemen,
All of us working for this great organization are going to retire one day. Retirement gives a feeling of sudden discontinuity and a sensation of falling into a kind of vacuum. Our Management wants to remove this anxiety from our lives.
We are part of a country of 1.25 billion people where the divide between “Shinning India” and the “Deprived India” is still wide and environmental concerns are threatening our future. This deserves immediate attention towards our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). Our Management wants to address it innovatively, keeping their employees at the centre.
We wish to undertake a large number of CSR projects, through newly formed NGOs providing them the concept, guidance and seed money for self-sustained ventures with a proviso that each of our retiring employees shall take over as CEO of one of those novel creations and would continue as long as he/she wishes to. On his/her decision to finally take rest, the position would be offered to the next retiring person of this Company.
Within our Company, we can have only one CEO but the proposed scheme provides an opportunity for each one of us to become CEO one day, when we need to keep engaged with rich experience behind our back, assuring us a paid job post-retirement.
Our Management will engage us in the brain-storming sessions on CSR projects; arrange training of leadership and other life skills during our service. You will be consulted right away on the entire process; you can even choose a particular entity to keep a track.
Towards this great cause of well being of all of us and the Society at large, a modest contribution of 15% of our salary would go to the Corpus.
Let us compliment the thought-leadership of our President who is thinking ahead of us for our future lives that too giving us the dignity of serving a great cause for our motherland which in turn will enhance her dignity in the eyes of the entire world !”
Can you see the magic of Emotional Intelligence!!
Satyamev Jayate !!!
Best wishes and Regards,
M.Tech., Ph.D., CBI Scholar, D.Engg.(Calif), FNAE
Hon.D.WRE (ranked amongst 30-most eminent scientists in the world)
Chairman Emeritus, Great Lakes, Gurgaon, NCR, New Delhi, INDIA
Former Director General (NPTI & CPRI / REL), Ex-Director (REC)/ Executive Director (IREDA)
No job is small or big, the way in which you do, makes it small or big (c)